Empire Canyons Tour - Details

Beautiful AND Fun! Great Balls of Ridin - Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Torrey, HUGE Summits, Meadows.... UTAH has it all. Cedar Breaks, Panguitch Lake, Bryce Canyon, Zion, cow pastures, sheep pastures, meadows, lots of prairie, thousands of troublesome deer, Elk and whatever else decides to run in front of us again ;). Elements? Another story but UTAH has it all.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby vvmt » Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Our tour is shaping up nicely for this coming weekend for 3 Days & 2 Nights Empire Canyons Tour.

Weather... :clap: It's gonna be a cold son-of-gun in the morning though.

Bryce

Grand Canyon

Zion

Story when we return...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VVMT... Just 4 the Ride
www.vegasvalleymotorcycletours.com,
vvmt
Site Admin

Re: Empire Canyons Tour - 5/12, 13 & 14 / 2012

Postby vvmt » Wed May 09, 2012 2:09 pm

The real question is this: Will we find the hind-behind this year?

What is this you may ask?

According to WikI

A hidebehind is a nocturnal[1] fearsome critter from American folklore that preys upon humans that wander the woods,[2] and was credited for the disappearances of early colonial loggers when they failed to return to camp.[3][4] As its name suggests, the hidebehind is noted for its ability to conceal itself. When an observer attempts to look directly at it, the creature hides again behind an object or the observer and therefore can't be directly seen: a feat it accomplishes by sucking in its stomach to a point where it is so slender that it can easily cover itself behind the trunk of any tree.[5] The hidebehind uses this ability to stalk human prey without being observed and to attack without warning. Their victims, including lumberjacks who frequent the forests, are dragged back to the creature's lair to be devoured.[2][3] The creature subsists chiefly upon the intestines of its victim,[6] and has a severe aversion to alcohol, which is considered a sufficient repellent.[6] Tales of the hidebehind may have helped explain strange noises in the forest at night.[7] Early accounts describe hidebehinds as large, powerful animals, despite the fact that no one was able to see them.[7]

I don't mean to sound cruel or what-not but the best way to find the hide behind is to take a youngin out in the forest, tie him to a tree and start snapping twigs and such, then get out of there and come back later to see what's left. Now... that's a good story for camping kids. Hey, those hidebehinds are attracted to snapping twigs that's why those loggers where never found again for stepping on them and making noise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VVMT... Just 4 the Ride
vvmt
Site Admin

Postby vvmt » Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 pm

This was an interesting 3 days from the perspective of using alternatives, such as gates being closed again at the North Rim of Grand Canyon on Day 2.We were previously informed by rangers on Dec. 2nd of 2010 that "gate closure was from Dec 1st - April 29th." Well guess what, Mamma was wrong again because it didn't open until May 15th, and we were there on the 13th, 2 days early. The day prior to this, another one of our primary canyons was closed as well. :roll: - Such as life on the road.

How did events unfold? :Drool:

Day 1:
Even though we were met with a primary motorcycle road being closed, we made a couple of adjustments and quickly made it back on track with an exceptional day as we weaved back forth across a 10,400 foot summit the back way, and WOW what an excellent ride it turned out to be. It took us from an estimated 256 miles to around 300 to our destination of Bryce Canyon that night. Given the time of year we are in for traveling, rarely rv's, no ice and no traffic and longer daylight gave way to great canyon riding.

Our custom with multiday trips is to book and pay for our guest rooms on the overnights. As our guest headed over to the motel called Bryce Canyon Resort, which had fair reviews and we booked our clients there, it turned out to be a mistake, our guest complained. We had problems from check-in to faucets falling off. The last thing to note here, it was not a resort. I had paid them online for the place to stay but when our clients arrived, they made them pay for it again, so this thing stewed all night, unnecessarily adding to another mess.

Myself, I headed with my sleeping bag and tent over to Bryce Canyon Pines RV.

As seen... a really great place to stay. Really clean, bath rooms, showers and as night time edged in, REALLY COLD :shock:. Even with a tent heater couldn't get warm ;-)

Day end at Bryce Canyon! What a great day of motorcycle roads and riding, really enjoyed it :clap:

I decided to spring for a little wood, lit up a nice fire and thought about this day, how wonderful it all was. As I was setting by enjoying the fire I looked up and could see a set of white peering eyes gazing at me through the fire. I thought for sure it was the hide-behind coming to pay me a visit. Not sure what kind of dog it was but what I do know is, is that it scared the daylights out of me. I wasn't even wearing my brown pants. :o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VVMT... Just 4 the Ride
vvmt
Site Admin

Postby vvmt » Mon May 14, 2012 11:27 pm

Day 2:

After breakfast on day 2 we headed towards the Grand Canyon North Rim. Many people when visiting the Grand Canyon often go to the south side, which is open year round. In fact it is said that 90% of visitors go to the south side and leave after a couple hours but 90% of the beauty is to be found on the north side. So, we were all pumped up hitting the uncommon roads of the north side. On the south end the roads are mostly straight and long as opposed to the north side which has great motorcycle roads. It was noted when we left a small town, a sign was posted of gate closure at Jacob's Lake and sure enough, it was closed. Needless to say there was disappointment. We sat near the closed gate talked about some alternatives, so we packed it up and went over to Zion National park and spent the rest of the day there with all of its breath taking beauty. We didn't have time for Zion's Hidden Treasure. It was after dark when when we left and cold, even in mid-may.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VVMT... Just 4 the Ride
vvmt
Site Admin

Postby vvmt » Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 am

Day 3:

After breakfast we headed out back to Vegas and because of the Grand Canyon North Rim closure, used alternatives such as the Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam. By the time we got there we were completely spent, it was hot and we were out of time and needed to cut it short but we made it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VVMT... Just 4 the Ride
vvmt
Site Admin

Return to Utah