Warmer Seasons - Vegas Riding

Lake Mead, North Shores and Hundreds of Miles of Open Road. Valley of Fire - N Shores - Hoover Dam

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby vvmt » Wed May 04, 2011 1:56 pm

:idea: Here are a couple of suggestions for summer-time riding in and around Las Vegas.

First, Vegas is hot in the summer months and riding will depend on a couple of things. I've been living here since 1956 and every time the summer months approach, I cringe knowing many nights at 10pm will still be 105 degrees. By mid May, the heat will be bearing down atop all living things. Following the animal life gives some clues to living in the 110+ degrees of Vegas. That means if your considering the Valley of Fire - NV, don't climb on a bike at 9am after a nice big breakfast and head out there. I've been out there at 1 or 2pm numerous times, it's not the place to be. Live and learn, but we've actually had customers out there and had to turn around and bring them back home, it was just to hot. :sick: Literally, it feels somewhat like sticking your head in a windy blast furnace. Hold on though, we're not done! Lets add insult to injury. Remember, if you're riding a Harley - NO radiator, and so all the heat rises up between your legs and under arms that can create some pretty red arms from heat burns underneath and from the sun on the top of the arm, if in a short sleeve shirt. Add to this any gear, such as a helmet or riding jacket. You should now be able to power up a nuclear energy plant. :sweat:

Other things to keep in mind are good contingency plans for water, snacks, food, gas and hopefully not a flat as many of these places don't have any facilities.

So, there are places to go in the summer months around Las Vegas but its rather important to have a working knowledge as you're going about it, thereby achieving a better experience. If you've chosen an extended ride hundreds of miles across the desert, you'll not be able to avoid the heat but hopefully limit it to some degree by any means possible without buying ice vest and other such things.

Riding Suggestions

Suggestion #1 - Leave Early

Suggestion #2 - Don't cross the desert without topping off. You'll need some planning here. If you rode up and down the strip using fuel, fuel up again that night. I can't tell you how many Harley's just about didn't make to gas station on our tours for this very reason.

Suggestion #3 - Bring water - A bladder with ice is best and snacks, and avoid mayonnaise unless you have an ice chest.

Suggestion #4 - Bring a tow strap, if traveling with a partner.

Suggestion #5 - Tire repair kit & cycle pump if you have one. We carry one on ALL our tours and have needed to use it.

Suggestion #6 - Avoid wearing a tank top. At least consider a thin long sleeve t.

Suggestion #6 - Ana-Kit - If you are allergic to bees, let it be known we have some of the biggest friggen bumble bees &Tarantula Hawks you've ever seen. I've seen these fly under helmets, into arm pits and down the shirts of riders. One time my bride had a bumble bee with green and black stripes and a rear-end as big as mans index finger fly down a small opening on her neck, down her blouse to her navel area and stung her while driving leaving a stinger hole the size of a 8 penny nail. I was wondering why she was driving all over the road :shock:

The other, which you possibly never seen is a Tarantula Hawk / Spider Wasp. These are black with orange wings, about 2" long and sound like a 747 when flying with legs hanging down underneath them in flight. The stinger of a female tarantula hawk can be up to 1/3 inch (7 mm) long, and delivers a sting which is rated among the most painful in the insect world. - Wikipedia.

Finally, the single largest bite is known as the, "Gambling Bug" :roll:

OK then, where to go :woo hoo:

First... If you're thinking about the Grand Canyon... anywhere, you may want to take a car or tour, it's around 700 hundred miles round trip and need around 3 days and two nights on a motorcycle, for most of us normal folks anyway. The North Rim is open between May 15th - Dec 1st. Why? Snow and unmaintained roads in the winter. The Grand Canyon South Rim isn't much of ride except for long straight roads and is much warmer than the north side. The NORTH RIM, this is an EXCELLENT summer ride through red vista, buttes, plateaus, forested areas, with many short and long curvy roads skirting across parts of southern Utah.

Next Southern Utah can be a great place for summer riding as well, such as Bryce and of course Zion Park. Southern Utah is our favorite stomping grounds for summer riding with excellent canyon motorcycle roads.

So, being in the geographical area of Vegas what's left? Here area few suggestions. This would be driving time to the area.

* Hoover Dam - NV - 1 Hour

* Valley of Fire - NV - 1 Hour

* Eagle Valley - NV - 3 Hours

* Red Rock - NV - 30 Minutes

* Empire Canyon Tour - 3 Days

* Zion National Park - 3 Hours

* Bryce Canyon - 6 Hours

* Grand Canyon North Rim - 6 Hours

* Kolob Road - 2.5 Hours to the road, then 50 miles up

* Lake Mead Recreational Area - (Route dependent 1 - 2 hours)

* Toyiabe National Forest - NV - 1 Hour (Popular Summer Area) :clap:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VVMT... Just 4 the Ride
www.vegasvalleymotorcycletours.com,
vvmt
Site Admin

Return to Nevada